If you’re suffering from severe conditions that require regular CBD dosing, then learning how to make CBD oil at home is going to be a cost-effective and convenient option.
What’s the Difference Between Full Spectrum CBD and CBD Isolate?
CBD Isolate is cannabidiol in its purest form, extracted from the hemp plant and processed to get rid of all of the oils, plant material, chlorophyll and more.
Full spectrum CBD (or whole plant extract) is oil extracted from the plant that still contains all the cannabinoids, chlorophyll, essential vitamins, flavonoids, and terpenes found in the plant. If you have a THC sensitivity, it does contain trace amounts of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). While the compound can get you high, it contains incredibly low concentrations (up to .3%). The amount of THC is so minimal that you won’t feel any mental change or a ‘high’ of any kind.
Both recipes require you to use MCT Oil, the best carrier for making a CBD tincture, as cannabinoids like CBD are fat soluble, meaning the cannabinoids are dissolved easily into high fat oils.
Now that you’ve got a sense of the difference, we’re going to show how to make them!
Recipe 1: How to make CBD oil tincture with isolate
Prep time: 5 Minutes | Total time: 1 Hour and 5 Minutes | Yield: 1000mg CBD Tincture
-1 Glass Dropper Bottle (30ml)
-MCT Oil (Carrier of your Choice) | 30 ml
-99% CBD Isolate | 1 Gram/1000mg
- Using the milligram scale, weigh out the 99% CBD Isolate. For this recipe we’re making a 1000mg, or 1 gram CBD Tincture.
- Using the funnel, pour the CBD Isolate into the glass dropper bottle. The bottle we’ve chosen is 30ml but you can use any size bottle you like. A note, that depending on the size of the bottle, the dosage and potency will be impacted.
- Add the MCT oil into the jar.
- Shake the bottle for 1 minute so that the CBD Isolate and MCT oil are combined.
- Place the bottle aside for 1 hour. This ensures that any loose CBD will settle to the bottom. Now you’re complete!
Dosage for CBD Isolate Tincture
How easy was that? After resting the tincture for 1 hour, you’re have completed this process and you’re ready to try it. The yield per full 1ml dropper will be 33.33mg of CBD. Use this calculation to for accurate dosage. For a more specific guide on dosing with CBD, skip right to the end.
Recipe 2: How to make CBD oil full spectrum tincture
You’re now familiar with making a CBD Isolate tincture. If that doesn’t interest you, we also have a second recipe for making a Full Spectrum Hemp Oil CBD tincture. This requires a bit more work but the results are we;; worth it.
Prep time: 2 hours | Total time: 1.5 weeks | Yield: Will vary depending on cannabis CBD percentage
-Cannabis: Choose a High CBD Strain (i.e Harlequin, ACDC, Charlotte’s Web | ⅛ Ounce
-High Proof Alcohol (Everclear) – (Do not use ISOPropyl Alcohol) | 2 Ounces
-Coffee Filters | 1-2
-Mason Jars | 1-2
-Glass Dropper Bottles | 30ml +
- For Full Spectrum CBD tincture, step 1 is decarboxylating the cannabis. This simply means you need to heat the cannabis in an oven to activate the cannabinoids in the dry flower since raw cannabis can’t get you high unless it is sufficiently heated up.
Start by preheating your oven to 250˚F. Next, break up your flower so that it is not left in one giant piece. You don’t need to grind it. Then, spread out the cannabis in a thin, even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours until the cannabis is looking a little brown.
- Place the decarbed cannabis into your mason jars. If the fit is tight, use 2 mason jars.
- Add the alcohol to the jars until the cannabis is completely submerged. Close the lid. Place the jars in a cool, dark spot for at least 10 days so that as much CBD is retained as possible for maximum potency. You’re welcome to leave the jars in their dark location for up to 4 to 6 weeks if you like.
- Once a day, shake the jar to mix the contents. Also open the lid for a few seconds so that the evaporated alcohol can escape.
- After 10 days, you’re ready to open the mason jars. Strain your tincture through the coffee filters and into your glass dropper bottles.
Dosage for Full Spectrum CBD
Start low, and go slow with dosing CBD oil. You can always work your way to the recommended dose to find your perfect dosage, which might actually be a little lower than what you’ve been told. It requires a bit of testing to find out what your dosage is.
Here’s a little guide on CBD dosing for different conditions:
-Chronic Pain: Start with 2.5mg of CBD
-Epilepsy: 200-300mg of CBD (orally) daily.
-Movement Problems due to Huntington’s Disease: Start with 10mg of CBD per kg of body weight daily for six weeks (orally)
-Sleep Disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD (orally)
-Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms: Cannabis plant extracts containing 2.5-120 milligrams of a THC/CBD combination daily for 2-15 weeks. Patients typically use eight sprays within any three hours, with a maximum of 48 sprays in any 24-hour period.
-Schizophrenia: 40-1,280mg oral CBD daily.
-Glaucoma: A single sublingual CBD dosage of 20-40mg (>40 mg may increase eye pressure).
It’s sometimes hard to find a low cost and reliable source for pure CBD oil. By creating your very own CBD oil tincture at home, you’ll be able to create a budget-friendly option where you can control the dosage and adjust the ingredients as you see fit.